About Us: Love Justice International (LJI) is a Christian nonprofit organization compelled by God’s love to fight the world’s greatest injustices. We fight injustice in two main ways: through our expanding anti-human trafficking work and by caring for orphaned and abandoned children. We currently work throughout Asia and Africa.
Position Type: Full Time (Internship); Support-Raised*; Overseas (Nepal)
- If hired, the intern will be required to raise financial support to cover all expenses related to the internship, including housing, transportation, food, and other relevant costs. Raising support is a key example of the body of Christ supporting its members and joining in the fight against injustice. LJI will provide administrative and prayer support throughout the process, as well as guidance and resources to build up a support base.
Position Overview: LJI's anti-human trafficking model focuses on transit monitoring. We identify, intercept, and assist trafficking victims as they are being transported—when victims and traffickers are the most visible and open to detection—and before they reach the destination where victims will be sold, hidden, and abused. Because the crime of trafficking has already commenced, we have access to actionable intelligence to apprehend suspects and understand trafficking methods. To date, we have intercepted over 20,000 individuals to prevent them from being trafficked, and we have helped arrest over 800 traffickers, with 53% of closed cases resulting in convictions.
LJI adopts a data-centric and evidence-based approach to all aspects of our work. For our anti-trafficking program, we collect, verify, and analyze data about victims and suspected traffickers, using our own software, which helps to provide insight into traffickers’ strategies and to evaluate our work. Accurate, intelligible data is crucial to the success of our model, and as the Anti-Trafficking Software Development Intern, you will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience with developing new capabilities and functionalities in our data collection software, Searchlight.
This internship period is from June 1 - July 31, 2020, is based in Kathmandu, Nepal, and reports to the Programmer Analyst.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, develop, and test new functionality for Searchlight.
- Research new libraries and tools that can be used to add functionality or improve current features in Searchlight.
- Conduct other duties as assigned by the Programmer Analyst and/or Internship Program Coordinator.
Essential Qualifications and Skills:
- Mature Christian faith
- At least two years of undergraduate study in software engineering, computer science, or a similar discipline
- Experience with full-stack development (exposure to Django REST Framework and AngularJS preferable)
- Flexibility in ever-changing work environments